The holiday season is upon us! It’s such a happy time of year, but also happens to be very tiring. Between fighting the crowds at the mall looking for the perfect gift, attending parties and visiting family, it’s no wonder many of us feel exhausted!
But while the holidays bring a lot of hustle and bustle into our lives, there are some key steps you can take to maintain your health, boost your energy and even tone up to help bring some extra joy (and vivacity) to the festivities this year.
#1 Get your sleep!
It’s easy to forget about sleep over the holidays. You’re out late at parties and up early with the kids. But it’s important to ensure you’re getting enough shut-eye in order to keep up. Allow yourself to get a good night’s sleep at least three times a week to help maintain and increase energy during this busy time.
#2 Eat right.
As tempting as they are, the cookies your coworkers bring in or the homemade eggnog your mother-in-law serves will only make you feel lethargic and drained if you consume too much. Steer away from overindulgence by eating a healthy snack such as veggies and dip or yogurt and granola prior to attending holiday gatherings.
Additional energy-boosting foods include:
- Oatmeal – packed with fibre, oatmeal will not only help you feel full longer but increase your energy.
- Bananas – potassium in bananas help lower blood pressure, decrease stress and increase your body’s strength.
- Spinach – green leafy veggies such as spinach are packed with magnesium, a fatigue fighting mineral.
#3 Keep hydrated.
The consumption of both alcohol and caffeine tend to increase during the holidays but they also cause dehydration. It’s therefore important to consume your eight glasses of water daily. Drinking water regularly will also keep you feeling full, making you less likely to reach for that second helping of turkey stuffing and more likely to wake up feeling energized the next day.
#4 Get moving.
Release those feel good hormones with a little exercise! Exercising is not only a great way to relieve stress and boost energy but will also help you tone up for that perfect party dress!
Below are three easy exercises anyone can do to tone up fast:
(as with all exercise, always see your doctor if you have any injuries, illnesses or health conditions.)
Squats – show a little leg this holiday season! Work your glutes, quads, hamstrings and calves all at once with squats. Your biggest muscles are in your legs and working them out will help burn more calories overall.
- Stand with your feet hip width apart.
- Lower yourself down like you’re going to sit in a chair.
- As you squat, keep your knees behind your toes and your abs and butt contracted.
- Lift back up until you are fully back in standing position.
- Repeat 3 – 5 sets of 10 reps.
The plank – Stand tall and show off that cinched-waist dress with great abs. An excellent ab and back workout, the plank will trim the waist line in no time.
- Lie face down on mat resting on the forearms, palms flat on the floor.
- Push off the floor, raising up onto toes and resting on the elbows.
- Keep your back flat, in a straight line.
- Hold for 20 to 60 seconds, lower and repeat for 3-5 reps.
Wall push ups – a twist on the regular push up, these are just as effective in toning the arms for that short sheath dress.
- Stand approximately three feet away from a wall.
- Outstretch your arms and lean in until they are touching the wall.
- Bend your elbows until your nose nearly touches the wall.
- Push back your arms until you are back in standing position.
- Do 3 – 5 sets of 10 reps.