This easy, light meal is perfect for warm nights but also hearty enough to be “comfort food” in the cooler months. It’s a healthier twist on traditional fried rice that we think you – and your kids – will love!
- 4 cups cooked quinoa (using vegetable stock instead of water for cooking)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 eggs
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 1/2 cups carrot, finely chopped
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups peas, frozen
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sesame seeds for garnish (optional)
- Green onion for garnish (optional)
- Cook quinoa according to package using vegetable stock instead of water for more flavour.
- In a wok melt 1 tablespoon butter over medium heat and add eggs. Scramble until cooked. Transfer to a bowl and wipe wok clean.
- Heat the sesame oil in the wok and add the carrot and onion. Over medium-low heat, slowly sauté the vegetables until nicely soft, about 10 minutes.
- Add the last tablespoon of butter and melt, then add the peas and garlic powder. Stir until heated through.
- Now add the quinoa and turn up the heat to medium-high, and stir to combine. Slightly fry the quinoa, stirring occasionally. Frying only about 3-4 minutes. Add the soy sauce, the scrambled eggs, and season with salt and pepper.
- Optional: garnish with sesame seeds and green onion.
For more recipes from the Sneaky Mommies, click here.
Nic & Nat are the Sneaky Mommies. They develop, test and share their favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy.