This is one of our favourite cool weather meals. It’s hearty, rich and creamy – and it’s dairy free! We hope you enjoy it.
- 1 pound pasta of your choice (penne, spaghetti… anything works)
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1 ½ cups boiling water
- 1 ¼ cup chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 5 slices of bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 cups of broccoli, cut into small florets
- Cashew Cream Sauce: place the cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water, so they are covered by a few inches and allow to soak for 1 hour. Drain and rinse. In a blender, combine the cashews, chicken stock, turmeric and garlic powder and blend on high until very smooth and no chunks remain. If you find that the mixture is too thick, add a bit more stock and mix again. Set aside.
- For the Pasta: in a large pot boil water and cook pasta according to instructions. Once al dente set aside.
- Heat large frying pan on medium and fry bacon until it is starting to get crispy, but not overdone. Set the bacon aside, but leave the bacon grease in the pan, you want approximately 2 tablespoons. If there is not enough, add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the onion and garlic and cook until the onion is translucent. Then add the broccoli and cook, stirring often until it gets cooked through and softened.
- Next add the cooked pasta and cashew cream and mix everything together. Allow everything to cook for a few minutes and warm up the sauce and pasta. If you find that the sauce is too thick, add a bit of chicken stock to make it creamier. Warm up the pasta with the sauce and then plate!
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.