This easy, healthy dish is a wonderful meal to make after the big holiday binge. You’ll feel good about eating lighter, and it will still satisfy all your comfort food cravings!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped finely
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 796 ml can diced tomatoes
- 540 ml can black beans, washed and drained
- 1 cup canned corn, washed
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tablespoons honey
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 peppers, any colour, deseeded and cut in half lengthwise
- Cheddar cheese, shredded, for topping
- OPTIONAL: add any of your other favourite taco fixings before serving
- In a deep saucepan cook beef until no longer pink. Drain fat from pan. Add the onion and olive oil and sauté with the beef over medium-low heat until onion is softened.
- Add the diced tomatoes, black beans, corn, chili powder, cumin, smoked paprika, cayenne pepper, and garlic powder. Give it a good mix, then season with salt and pepper. Then add the honey. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile bring a large pot of well salter water to a boil. Add the peppers, and boil for only 3-4 minutes. Remove from the water and set on a casserole dish, cut side up.
- Fill the peppers with the beef filling. Then top with cheddar cheese. Bake for 20 minutes at 375 degrees F, or until cheese is bubbling on top.
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.