Pasta is our families’ favourite comfort food, and we can’t think of a yummier dish than this one to enjoy on a chilly evening – or any time, really!
- 1 lb pasta of your choice (penne, ziti, fusilli etc)
- 1 lb sweet Italian sausage (casing removed)
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 small zucchini, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 2 cups spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1 (28 oz ) can, crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup heavy cream
- ¼ cup grated parmesan
- ¼ cup grated mozzarella
- Cook pasta according to instructions until al dente and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and transfer cooked noodles into a large oven proof dish.
- Over medium/high heat add your onion and garlic. Sautee until just softened slightly 2-3 minutes. Then add the sausage, removed from casings, and using a wooden spoon break it apart into small pieces. Then add the mushrooms and zucchini and incorporate with the sausage. Brown the sausage slightly for 6-7minutes.
- After this time drain most of the liquid that has been released and continue to cook for 2-3 more minutes, stirring constantly to avoid sticking to the pan. Add the crushed tomatoes, salt and spinach. Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Add the heavy cream and parmesan cheese and incorporate together. Carefully pour the sauce mixture into the prepared baking dish with the pasta and gently stir to combine everything together. Top with the grated mozzarella.
- Bake uncovered for 20 minutes and allow to cool just slightly before serving!
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.