- 2 tablespoons of olive oil, plus more to drizzle on garlic and garnish on the soup
- 1 large whole garlic
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 1/2 cups of chicken or vegetable stock
- 5-6 medium size carrots, peeled and sliced
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup sour cream (optional for garnish)
- 1/4 cup whipping cream (optional for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Peel most of the skin around the garlic then slice the tops off. Drizzle the top with some olive oil, then wrap in foil. Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the olive oil in a soup pot over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for about 5 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add the chicken or vegetable stock to the pot and bring to a boil.
- Add the carrots and roasted garlic (squeeze cloves out of the skins). Lower heat to medium low and continue to simmer until carrots are soft, about 15-20 minutes.
- Transfer the cooked carrot, onion, and garlic, along with some of the broth to a food processor or blender and puree until smooth (Might need to do this in batches). Then add the puree mixture back to the broth and whisk together.
- Add the smoked paprika and season with salt and pepper. Continue to simmer another 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl whisk together the sour cream and whipping cream and drizzle on top of each bowl of soup, along with a drizzle of olive oil. (optional)
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.