Looking for an easy, yet delicious, meal to end the year with a bang? This crowd-pleaser is it!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 400g raw peeled large shrimp, thawed
- 1 tablespoon, plus 1 teaspoon of Cajun seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 355g smoked Polish sausage, sliced (about 4-5 sausages)
- 1 small onion, in slices
- 227g sliced mushrooms
- 1 zucchini, sliced in ½ inch pieces
- 2 bell peppers, sliced
- 1 ½ cups chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- OPTIONAL: rice or pasta to serve it with
- In a large deep saucepan melt 1 tablespoon of the butter over medium heat. Add the shrimp to the pan with 1 teaspoon of the Cajun seasoning, and a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir then leave for about 1 minute undisturbed, then flip the shrimp and leave them another minute. Then sauté, stirring occasionally until shrimp start to get blackened spots, for another few minutes. Remove from the pan and set aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, melt another tablespoon of butter and add the sausage. Sauté until starting to have blackened spots too, about 3-4 minutes. Remove from pan and add to the bowl with shrimp and set aside.
- Melt the last tablespoon of butter in the pan, lower the heat to medium low, add the onion and mushrooms, and sauté until nice and soft, about 5-7 minutes, stirring often.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together the stock, garlic powder, cornstarch, and remaining Cajun seasoning.
- Once onion and mushrooms are softened, add the zucchini and peppers. Sauté until just starting to soften, about 4 minutes. Then pour in the stock mixture and bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally. Allow sauce to thicken, about 3 minutes. Stir in the sausage and shrimp. Stir and simmer together about 1 minute more. Season with salt and pepper. Enjoy on rice or with pasta, if desired.
Nic & Nat are the Sneaky Mommies. They develop, test and share their favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy.