June is peak rhubarb season, so we’re thrilled to share a recipe that makes the most of this delicious fruit and is a great addition to any lunch box. Muffins, for the win!
For the Muffins:
- 2 cups flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 2 ½ teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cups rhubarb chopped
For the Topping:
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper baking cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda, and salt and whisk to blend.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt, melted butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Lightly stir the wet mixture into the dry ingredients with a spoon until the batter comes together; do not overmix. Gently stir in the diced rhubarb. The batter will be thick.
- Divide the batter among the muffin cups, using the back of a spoon or a small spatula to settle the batter into the cups. The batter should mound a bit higher than the tops of the cups.
- In a small bowl mix the sugar and cinnamon for the topping. Sprinkle each muffin with ½ teaspoon of the sugar mixture.
- Bake for 10 minutes, then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for about 11-12 minutes more, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean.
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.