Since we’re all spending more time at home this season, why not try something new and do some canning with your kids? We love the idea of preparing treats to give as presents for the holidays and this yummy tested-and-true red pepper jelly recipe from Nat at SneakyMommies.com is sure to be a hit!
- 2 red peppers, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 pouches (170 ml) of liquid pectin
- Canning materials
- Follow usual canning process to prepare jars.
Click here for The Basics of Home Canning
- In a blender or food processor, puree peppers and vinegar until smooth.
- In a large, deep pot combine pepper puree and sugar. Bring to a boil over high heat (be sure to use a deep pot as it will bubble up significantly as it cooks) and continue a boil for 10 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Stir in pectin and boil hard, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Remove from heat and quickly skim off any thick foam.
- Pour into prepared jars and continue usual canning process.
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.