This simple, yet delicious, pasta recipe is a classic. And, if you prefer a vegetarian entrée, it’s yummy even without the meat!
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 5-6 sweet Italian Sausages (raw)
- ½ sweet onion (chopped)
- 3 large garlic gloves, minced
- ¼ cup vodka
- 2 lbs roma tomatoes chopped
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon dried basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ pound penne pasta
- fresh basil and parmesan for garnish
- In a food processor puree tomatoes until smooth, set aside.
- In a sauce pan heat oil over medium heat. Add Italian sausage by squeezing the meat out of the casing. Break meat up with a wooden spoon into bite sized pieces and cook until no longer pink.
- Add onion (and more oil if needed) and continue cooking for additional 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add garlic for another 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add vodka and simmer until reduced by half. Meanwhile cook penne according to package directions.
- Add tomato puree, cream, sugar, dried oregano, dried basil, and season with salt and pepper.
- Turn heat to medium-low and simmer for about 15 minutes. Serve sauce over cooked penne and garnish with fresh parmesan and basil. Enjoy!
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.