This recipe for ginger and turmeric carrot soup is not only packed full of healthy ingredients, it’s also great served warm (on cold days) or chilled (on warm days). This simple, wholesome recipe is a wonderful meal for babies starting on solids, too.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1 ¼ cup (about 3 stalks) celery, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp fresh ginger, grated
- 5 cups vegetable stock
- 5 large carrots, peels, and chopped in 1-inch pieces
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 400 ml can of coconut milk
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a large soup pot melt butter over medium low heat. Add the celery and onion and sauté until soft, about 4-5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger and continue to sauté for another minute.
- Pour in the vegetable stock and bring to a boil. Add the carrots and turmeric and simmer until the carrots have softened, about 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Using a hand blender in the pot, puree until smooth. Or transfer to a blender and puree until smooth (then return to pot).
- Bring the pot back to the stove and, over medium heat, stir in the coconut milk, simmering an additional 3-5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy!
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.