Here’s an easy to put together applesauce recipe that is perfect for snacks, lunches or even as a dessert. Top it with hemp hearts and stir in some chia seeds and you’ve got a protein-packed, kid-approved snack.
- 5 cups peeled, cored and quartered Granny Smith Apples
- 5 cups peeled, cored and quartered Fuji, Gala or other sweet variety of apples
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup organic apple juice
- Hemp hearts (optional, for serving)
- Chia seeds (optional, for serving)
- Combine the apples, sugar, cinnamon, salt and apple juice in the insert of a 7-quart slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours.
- Once fully cooked, break up some of the larger pieces with a fork or a potato masher.
- Once cooled, stir in 1-2 teaspoons of chia seeds and top with a teaspoon or so of hemp hearts for added protein and nutrients.
For more recipes from the Sneaky Mommies, click here.
Nic & Nat are the Sneaky Mommies. They develop, test and share their favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy.