If you love fritters, you’ll love this healthier version. The best part? There’s a good chance your kids will gobble up these vegetable fritters and never even know they’re eating something that’s good for them!
- 2 medium zucchini, grated (approx 2 1⁄2 cups)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled feta
- 1 cup finely chopped spinach
- 2 tablespoons minced dill
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- Olive oil, for frying
1. Shred the zucchini in the large holes of a grater. Transfer to a fine mesh strainer, sprinkle with 1⁄4 teaspoon salt and toss using your hands to fully incorporate it into the zucchini. Let it sit in the strainer for at least 10 minutes so that a lot of the excess liquid drips out. Then using your hands wring it out as much as possible. Set aside.
2. Beat the eggs in a large bowl and add the dried zucchini, spinach, feta, dill, garlic, black pepper and mix well. Sprinkle with the flour and baking powder until it is fully incorporated and holding together.
3. Heat approximately 3 tablespoons (or more if required), olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add about 3 tablespoons of batter to the skillet, flattening it with a spoon. Pan fry until golden brown on both sides, about 3 minutes each side. Place the fritters on a
4. Serve with fresh dill, lemon wedges, tzatziki, plain Greek yogurt or sour cream.
Makes approximately 7 large fritters
Nic & Nat are the Sneaky Mommies. They develop, test and share their favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy.