This is the perfect autumn dish and a great way to incorporate pumpkin – a fall staple – into a family-friendly meal.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, cut in 1-inch cubes
- 2 cups broccoli, chopped in bite-size pieces
- 1/2 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup canned pumpkin purée (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup heavy cream
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 300 grams penne pasta
- OPTIONAL: Parmesan cheese for serving
- In a deep pan over medium heat, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Add the chicken, sprinkle with salt and pepper, and cook about 6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from pan and transfer to a plate. Set aside.
- In a small pot, bring 1 cup water to boil. Add the broccoli and cover with lid. Lower heat to medium-low and steam for 5-7 minutes. Or until broccoli is softened to your liking. Remove the broccoli, and set aside in a bowl.
- In a large pot with salted water, start preparing your penne according to package directions.
- In the same deep pan used for the chicken, heat the last tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until just starting to brown, about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and continue to sauté for 30 seconds more. Then add the chicken stock, pumpkin purée, dried basil and dried oregano, and stir to combine. Simmer for about 3-5 minutes, stirring often. Now pour in the heavy cream, stirring to combine. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Stir in the broccoli and chicken. Remove from heat.
- Serve cooked pasta with sauce on top. Top with Parmesan cheese if you’d like. Enjoy!
For more recipes from the Sneaky Mommies, click here.
Nic & Nat are the Sneaky Mommies. They develop, test and share their favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy.