This pesto pasta with cashew cream is a quick & delicious weeknight meal that packs in the flavour and the creaminess without the “cream”.
For the Pesto
- 1/4 cup organic raw almond
- 3 tablespoons hemp hearts
- 2/3 cup EVOO + 1 tablespoon, divided
- 3 cups packed fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Cooked noodles of your choice (penne, linguine etc work well)
- 1/2 cup mini tomatoes, halved
For the Cashew Cream
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- 1/2 cup filtered water
1. To make the cashew cream: place the cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water, so they are covered by a few inches. Soak them for at least 1 hour. In a blender, combine the cashews and water, and blend on high until very smooth and no chunks remain. If you find that the mixture is too thick, thin it out a bit by adding more water and pulsing again. Set aside.
2. To make the pesto: in the bowl of a food processor add the almonds, garlic and hemp hearts. Process until the almonds and garlic have been chopped up and are well incorporated with the hemp hearts and no large chunks remain. Next add 2/3 cup EVOO, basil, nutritional yeast, salt and pepper. Pulse until the mixture resembles a sauce. If you find that it is too thick, add more EVOO to get it to the consistency you are looking for; you want it to be a bit runny, but still remain a thicker sauce.
3. Combining it together: in a large pan, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the halved tomatoes and break them apart a bit with a wooden spoon. You want them to just slightly release their juices. Next, add the cooked noodles and mix well with the tomatoes and oil, breaking up any clumps of pasta. Then, stir in the pesto and cashew cream until everything is combined well, ensuring that the noodles are fully coated. Continue stirring until the noodles have been heated through. Serve with your favourite salad, garlic bread or vegetables.
For more recipes from the Sneaky Mommies, click here.
Nic & Nat are the Sneaky Mommies. They develop, test and share their favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy.