This simple recipe for cilantro lime chicken is a tasty, easy dish that will make weeknight dinners a breeze. Serve with rice (or your favourite side dish) for a quick, healthy family meal.
- 6 chicken breasts, cut thinly, or pounded thin, about ½ inch
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 ¼ cup chicken broth
Handfulof cilantro, finely chopped
- 1 lime, plus more for serving
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- Season your chicken breasts with salt and pepper
- Heat olive oil in a deep pan over medium heat. Add the chicken to the pan and fry about 5 minutes, or until chicken starts to get a brown colour, then flip and cook the other side until brown. Remove from the pan and set on a plate.
- If your pan is dry add another tablespoon of olive oil. Add the shallots and sauté about 3 minutes, then add the garlic and continue to sauté 30 seconds more. Add the chicken broth, cilantro, juice from 1 lime, the cumin and chili powder. Bring to a simmer. Then add the chicken back to the pan. Simmer on low, flipping the chicken occasionally about 5 minutes more, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Enjoy with additional cilantro and lime if desired.
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.