Eating a diet containing more plant-based foods is a healthy choice, and this chickpea and swiss chard curry is SO packed full of flavour, you won’t miss the meat!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ sweet onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 400 ml can coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 x 540 ml cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 bunch swiss chard, chopped
- (optional) Basmati rice for serving
- (optional) Naan bread for serving
- In a deep pan heat olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and sauté together 30 seconds more. Then add the chili powder, curry powder, turmeric, and cayenne, and mix together for another 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Stir in the tomato paste, coconut milk, and vegetable stock. Bring to a simmer. Then add the chickpeas. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add the swiss chard and simmer all together about 10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat. Serve the chickpea and swiss chard curry with basmati rice and naan bread if desired.
For more recipes from the Sneaky Mommies, click here.
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.