- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion finely diced
- 1 tsp fresh sage, chopped
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 6 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cup roasted butternut squash, mashed
- ½ cup parmesan cheese, plus more for serving
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium sized pot heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Meanwhile in a separate small pot warm the stock and keep on low to maintain warmth with the lid on, while preparing the rice.
- Add the onion and sage to the medium sized pot and sauté about 3 minutes, until onion softens.
- Stir in the rice, stirring for about 1 minute.
- Pour in the wine and allow it to get mostly absorbed by the rice. About 2 minutes.
- Ladle two spoons of the stock into the rice, stirring frequently, and adding more stock whenever the rice absorbs most of the liquid.
- Taste the rice, is it cooked? If not continue to add stock and cook until rice is tender. This process will take about 20 minutes.
- Once rice is cooked, mix in the butternut squash, and season with salt and pepper. Add the parmesan cheese and give it a good stir to combine.
- Serve with additional parmesan cheese and fresh chopped sage.
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.