With autumn in full swing, this healthy recipe for plantain chips with avocado dip makes the perfect comfort food snack for cooler days — and those family movie nights when all you want to do is snuggle in!
- 3 medium plantains, peeled
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 avocados, ripe
- 1 cup cilantro, stems and leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic
- Juice from 1 lime
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
1. DIP: Add all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender, and blend until fully incorporated.
2. CHIPS: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Thinly slice plantains with a sharp knife, or using a mandolin (the thinner the crisper they get). Add the sliced plantains to a bowl and drizzle with oil and salt, gently tossing with a spoon to evenly combine everything. Then one at a time, using your fingers, arrange them on a single layer on the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 20-24 minutes, checking in at the 118-minute mark or so, to make sure they do not burn. You want them to be crispy and golden.
Yield: Makes approximately 2 cups chips & 1 cup dip
Nat develops, tests and shares her favourite family-friendly recipes that even your pickiest eater will enjoy on her website Sneaky Mommies.