Runway trends are inspirational and get me really excited for the coming season’s fashions, but sometimes I take a step back and think, “How would I wear that?”
As a busy Mom of two, I will not sacrifice comfort. Period.
Between participating in my toddler’s gymnastics and music classes and shuttling the kids to swimming and dance, I need clothes that move with me, are easy to care for and aren’t “precious”. (The minute I spend too much on a piece of clothing, I know it’s going to end up with my two-year-old’s spaghetti-laden hands on it!) But, being the fashion-lover that I am, it’s imperative that my day-to-day wardrobe is not only functional and frugal, but fashionable as well.
To help you weed through the plethora of trends out there, I’ve chosen some standout pieces from a few of my favourite Canadian retailers that will take you effortlessly through your day, while still looking chic. Many of them do double-duty, going from day to evening in a pinch and, as always, they are budget-friendly too!
Jacob has always been a fantastic store to find classic pieces that never go out of style. From their classically cut pants and jackets to their wonderful jersey and knit pieces, there’s something for everyone. Be sure to check out their line ofMade in Canada garments, too – they’re proudly Canadian and aren’t afraid to show it!
- Ponte Bootcut Pants ($59) – they’re as comfortable as yoga pants and a perfect silhouette for all shapes and sizes; pair with a blouson top or fitted blouse and jacket.
- Princess Collar Coat ($189) or Belted Trench ($129)– while a bit of a splurge, these statement pieces in black or camel (Princess) and red (Trench) will remain classics for years to come.
- Printed Blouson Top ($59) – the blouson style is flattering on all body types and is an easy look to pull off; pair with purple Slim Coloured Jean ($29.90). Bonus: it’s made in Canada!
- Sleeveless Bow Blouse ($21) – this sweet four-season blouse is a wardrobe staple; for winter, add a fitted jacket and slim pants or pencil skirt.
- Accessories: Purple Faux Fur Collar ($49) and Velvet Belt ($19) – elevate the look of any plain cardigan or little black dress with this bold-hued pair, or wear separately to add a dash of colour to any outfit (for a less expensive option, trythis faux fur collar from Joe Fresh)
Joe Fresh has been a favourite of mine since it first appeared on shelves at my local Loblaws store. It was a dream come true… I could shop for affordable casual clothes while out grocery shopping – with baby in tow! I’ve consistently found items to update my wardrobe each season, from cute accessories and dresses to functional tees and jeans.
- Sequin Sleeve Shirt ($29) – this is a piece that combines the comfort of jersey knit with the pizazz of sequins, allowing you to dress it up or down on a whim.
- Houndstooth dress ($49) – perfect for a night out with your partner (or the girls!); the classic black and white pattern is timeless, and the cut of this dress is forgiving; pair it with black leggings, boots and a bold hued fitted jacket to take you through the winter months.
- Coloured Denim ($19) – it’s everywhere this year, but even if you’re not sure it’s for you, at this price you can afford to try out the trend.
- Accessories: Statement Necklace ($14) and Bracelet ($14) – bold hues are not only hot this season, but are the perfect antidote to plain old black anytime! Pair this chunky set with your favourite little black dress or a neutral-coloured pantsuit and your outfit will look far from ordinary. Not a hot pink kind of girl? Check out this fab bracelet($14) in green and brown tones.
The Bay is Canada’s oldest store – and for good reason. It continues to evolve, with stylish offerings each season that keep its customers coming back for more.
- Colour-Block Sweater ($44) – this Mondrian-inspired sweater is thoroughly modern, with a slightly longer length that pairs perfectly with a slim/skinny pant or legging.
- Military Wool Jacket ($141) – for those that want to try the military look, but aren’t into heavy gold hardware or lapels, this gives a nod to the trend, while still maintaining classic appeal that’s flattering on many body types.
- Snakeskin Pleated Top ($31) – if, like me, you’ve always been afraid of animal prints, this is the perfect way to try the trend; pair with a simple black suit or skinny jeans and a leather moto (or any short, fitted) jacket.