I’m barely able to beat the heat these days, but my mind has already turned to autumn. Why, you ask? Because stores across the country are starting to roll out fall merchandise, and I need to be ready!
Being the frugal girl I am, I want to know what the trends are for the upcoming season so I can spend my (very modest) budget prudently. I like to update my current wardrobe with a few key staples such as the season’s must-have jacket, dress or pants. But, as I’ve written about before, I’m all about accessories because they can transform and elevate any outfit from ordinary to extraordinary without breaking the bank. They really do give you the biggest bang for your buck – and you never outgrow them! – so try to focus your efforts on a few statement pieces.
The following are some of fall’s key trends. Try choosing a few that appeal to you and work with your existing wardrobe… and don’t go too far outside of your comfort zone because, trust me, it will show! For example, if you’re typically a preppy dresser, don’t dress in head-to-toe gold. Be yourself, only bolder. You’ll look like a million bucks on a budget that’s anything but!
- Gold clothing – Probably one of the toughest to pull off, so try it out in a safe way; opt for a gold lamé scarf, belt or shoes. You’ll still get the “wow” factor without the head-to-toe shock of metallic.
- Patent leather – Since this is a classic that never goes out of style, invest in a skirt or jacket (real or faux) – preferably in black or another dark hue, to keep it looking current for seasons to come.
- Patterns – Whether a diamond-patterned suit, dark floral dress or plaid coat, patterns are definitely in this coming season!
- Military – This trend never goes out of style and seems to come back strong every few seasons, mainly because it’s iconic and classic. Think double-breasted jackets, pea coats, gold buttons, epaulettes and flap pocket detailing.
- Pantsuits – Come autumn, the pantsuit is back! Whether cropped, flared, patterned or boldly hued, you can’t lose with this modern staple.
- Ornate tapestries – This can look too heavy if over-done. It also isn’t very practical… after all, we’ve got kids and don’t want to worry about sticky fingers on our clothing! So try this trend as a scarf or jacket for more elegant occasions (when you’re sans kids!).
- Velvet – A wardrobe staple that harkens back to the golden age of Hollywood, velvet never goes out of style… it just steps out of the spotlight on occasion. A budget-friendly option is synthetic velvet (machine washable), which will cut down on care costs, so you won’t fret if junior drips his ice cream cone on you! Try it as a skirt or jacket, in rich colours such as burgundy, plum, navy or black.
- Oversized outerwear – The perfect trend to indulge in, especially if you’re expecting… and it’s practical, too!
- Tweeds and knits – I never tire of these timeless staples that are easy to put a modern spin on. Think Fair Isle sweaters, cozy plaid scarves and keep-the-chill-out wool pants. Pair with one of this season’s must-have accessories (below), and you’re good to go!
- Pops of fur (faux or real) – Fur is showing up on shoes, collars, as trim on dresses – you name it! So, add a dash of fur to your fall wardrobe for an instant update.
- French manicure with a twist – Choose a pale nail base, and add dark or richly hued tips for an unexpected hit of colour.
- Lady-like frame bags – These classic handbag styles, when purchased in timeless colours, will remain a wardrobe staple.
- Oxidized silver accessories – This trend was most often shown on the runway with head-to-toe black (or white… but we wouldn’t do that!), leaning towards large, sculptural statement pieces.
- Tall boots – Practical for our Canadian winters, they really never go out of style! Whether heeled or flat, tall boots are a chic way to add some oomph to your wardrobe.
- Colour-blocked shoes – If your budget allows for a splurge, these are a fun way to add a pop of bright colour to any outfit. Wear with anything in fall’s standout colour, burgundy, for an unexpected pairing.
No matter how bold or demure your taste, you’re sure to find something this coming season that will excite and inspire you! Happy shopping!