William took what I thought were his first steps in my presence last Friday. I giddily texted Brendan to let him know but couldn’t manage to capture the moments on video. Lo and behold, on Saturday when I was out all day, Brendan recorded several moments of Will waddling around the living room and happily prancing about. It’s very cute, but I carried him in my belly for nine months, I wish he had let me be the one behind that camera! Either way, I’m so happy my 19-month-old is walking. Here’s what I’ve learned about this entire no-walking-to-walking happening:
- Kids only like to show off for their dads. I’m convinced of this.
- Despite hours of encouragement, treats, and mom and dad showing them how to do it, kids will do things on their own agenda. Period.
- Once they get the hang of something it’s like they were always doing it. There’s no going back!
- Walking opens to the door to new things like running and shoes. I must budget for new shoes now.
- My gut is always right so I should stop worrying so much. I knew he would walk before he turned two!
Where were you when your little one took those first steps?
Caroline is mom to two beautiful boys, wife to a wonderfully-supportive husband, and the owner of a successful social media management and content writing business called Flourish Marketing. She also blogs at Labour to Launch, a site meant to inspire the entrepreneur in all of us.