We are just two months away from Canada’s 150th Birthday! While best known for our wintery weather, there are so many amazing ways to be Canadian and celebrate this historic milestone as a family!
20 Ways to Celebrate Canada’s 150th This Spring & Summer
1. Grab some popcorn and watch “Canada in a Day” as a family. Canada In A Day is a CTV special created entirely from videos made by Canadians in one day, over 24 hours, reflecting the thoughts, hopes, and lives of Canucks across the nation. Don’t miss this video time capsule made in honour of Canada’s 150th!
2. Learn some of Canada’s history while enjoying a memorable stay in one of our nation’s top heritage hotels.
3. We are a generous and compassionate nation – find ways to give back in the WE Are Canada Guide for families. Discover new ways to make a difference in the lives of others. Be inspired to take small, everyday actions with your family and join the hundreds of thousands of Canadians already banding together to help build the future of Canada.
4. Get your family moving! ParticipACTION offers the ultimate Play List to get you moving, and includes 150 activities that define our land and people. Get moving, try as many activities as you can, track your progress online and earn chances to win great prizes!
5. Spend the Canada Day or other long weekend enjoying one of Canada’s top beaches.
6. Join The Canada 150 for 150 Volunteer Challenge – a nation-wide movement led by Volunteer Ottawa in partnership with Volunteer Centres across the country. Canadians are invited to give as much as 150 hours of volunteer time in 2017 in celebration of Canada’s 150th anniversary. Sign up today to start tracking your hours and telling your stories.
7. For Dance families – celebrate with the National Ballet 150 POINTES – snap your ballet pointe shoes around Canada’s landmarks. Thousands of participants will engage in a lively, entertaining and health-promoting dance activity during Sharing Dance Day scheduled for June 2017.
8. Thrill-seeker families, check out some of the best amusement parks in the world, right here in the Great North – most with special celebrations planned for Canada’s 150th! For instance, Canada’s Wonderland has celebrations lined up for the entire month of July!
9. Discover Canada’s National Parks – get your FREE discovery pass to National Parks, Marine Conservation areas and Historic sites throughout Canada.
10. Experience our nation’s capital like never before! Once in a lifetime events are planned for Ottawa, including the annual Tulip Festival, Sporting events, a Stanley Cup tribute, superb culinary experiences and more!
11. Cheer on Canada’s only MLB team – the Toronto Blue Jays. To celebrate Canada’s 150th, the Jays will wear read & white “Canadiana” uniforms for every Sunday home game and select games in the month of July. The 2017 schedule is available here.
12. Multiculturalism is one of Canada’s defining characteristics. Celebrate Canadian Multiculturalism Day June 27th, and take part in the events and discover the wealth of Canada’s diversity, while celebrating our nation’s commitment to democracy, equality and mutual respect for all.
13. Have your kids join the 4Rs Youth Movement, which sets out to engage young people in authentic dialogue and relationship building that highlights the contributions of Indigenous peoples over the last 150 years.
14. Attend one of your very own community driven projects listed by province here.
15. Get the Passport 2017 App – Find out about Canada 150 events and activities that matter to you with the Passport 2017 App. This personalized application combines culture, food, history, sports and travel while awarding virtual badges.
16. Plan a Canadian vacation and visit one of these 17 “must visit” Canadian cities spotlighted by Expedia.ca.
17. Catch a glimpse of the Tall Ships through Rendez-Vous 2017 between June 30th – August 20th, across Canada. More than 40 Tall Ships will be sailing Canadian waters to honour the 150th anniversary of the Canadian Confederation in 2017. Check out participating provinces and where to catch this historic event here.
18. Have a family BBQ outdoors with red and white or Canada-themed tableware. Roast marshmallows over a fire pit and make s’mores for dessert! All the food and décor you need can be picked up at Canadian Tire or the Real Canadian Superstore!
19. After your outdoor shindig, gather your friends and family, and set off your own fireworks show to celebrate with a bang! Grab fireworks in bulk from Costco Canada, making sure everyone knows fireworks safety first.
20. Show your Canadian pride in style, while supporting a good cause – Hudson’s Bay Company honours Canada’s 150th birthday with the “Grand Portage” lifestyle collection, where 10% of the net proceeds from these items will go to support the Trans Canada Trail.
Peace Collective is another Canadian lifestyle brand that gives back. For every garment sold, $2 is donated to proceeds to Breakfast Club of Canada to provide healthy meals to Canadian children in need.
Buy matching shirts for your crew and take snaps in places or doing activities that represent what it means to be “Canadian” or you simply love doing as a family (camping, cottaging, Canadian scenery, or identifying landmarks, for instance)! Then create a Canada 150 photobook!
No matter how you celebrate, may it be a memory-making season and Canada 150 celebration for you and your family! Happy 150th birthday, Canada!
Sonya Kerr is a Canadian Mom of four awesome kids under 9 years of age. She’s writer and editor of House of Kerrs, a family and lifestyle blog, as well as a hockey + dance mom-in-training!